Skip to main content

The "Cutting Off" Effect

Most of my life I have been a mover. As you might imagine, this means I have moved a lot. From one school, one town, one city one state…to another. Before I was 18 I moved at least 20 different times, so I consider that movement. Anyway, this is not whining or complaining, but rather explaining my approach to people and relationships in a more general sense. This movement is what gave me the ability to speak with people, to make friends easily and move freely from one crowd to the next.

I can’t lie and state that I was the coolest kid in school, because I was the nerdiest little girl starting from 6th grade and beyond. My Xena obsession, AOL chat room RPG sessions and red stringy ginger hair were some causes of my misfortune. Even with this, I usually had friends, lots of new friends that I made and then moved away from. This gives me the ability to make friends, but not necessarily the ability to keep them. Facebook is the new and improved, obvious way of holding on to friends, but that’s easy. You write someone a message every once in a while, then you get back to them at another time right where you left off, perhaps years in the future.

This might be a reason in which I am unaware of things such as girl culture or the “cutting off” of ones friendship. Usually I would move and then the friendship would end because we were little kids or now I will still have the easy friendships on Facebook. For those of you unaware of the “cutting off”, this is a term I am using where a person suddenly decides they can no longer be around you. They are ending the friendship because the two of you are just not compatible. I think this is fair, not everyone is meant to get along. I’m assuming guys have this as well, but I’m not sure of how that would be handled either.

While I remain that not everyone is meant to be friends, I think there is an approach that should be taken and possibly a reason involved. The reasoning I am unsure of, because sometimes a person just doesn’t like another person. No one is to blame for that, but if that was the instance, why were you friends in the first place.

Now we get to my story, my side of the story specifically because I do not have the ability to see her perspective. I also just do not understand entirely what is happening in the first place. Recently I was told my a friend that I considered myself to be rather close with, that I was too much and she just needed to step back from me for a little while. Obviously, this hurt my feelings, but I like honesty and I don’ t want people pretending to be friends with me that are not. She said it had nothing to do with are argument previously, our first and last fight.

A week before this event I had actually met one of her friends that I hadn’t previously known. Long story short, we didn’t get along. I apologized and admitted that I was an ass. I refused to take full responsibility though, because from my perspective, neither her friend nor me were right that night. Once again, I can only see from my perspective. I never asked for an apology, I just refused to believe I was the only one to blame and wanted to move on from that. Then I received the Gchat message that apparently has nothing to do with this situation.
The only thing I know at this moment is that she states she has felt like this for a while, that I was just too much for her and she needed to back off. Meanwhile, our friendship consisted of me sleeping on her living floor when we were all sick and talking about traveling with each other to Scotland to see her boyfriend. While it was confusing, I can still say it’s acceptable to back off a little bit.

The frustrating part comes in the form of her not being able to be seen in the same room as I am. If I was just too much and she needed to back off, why can she no longer be in the same room with me? There are parties happening with mutual friends and when they ask her to come, the first question is always whether I am going to be there or not. When we see each other in a coffee shop she dodges me. When I see her at red lights I have to sit awkwardly on my scooter because she’s right next to me, right behind me or right in front of me. This happens almost always twice a week so it’s a real pain in the ass.

To be honest, I’m not really hurt or angered by the situation. I’m confused by it and I’m sorry to the mutual friends we have that seem to be involved. A lot of them feel as if various scenarios we have encountered, such as important life events that she won’t appear at (because I will be there) are personally insulting them. I have wanted to attend events that I have become uninvited to, because she will be attending. No one wants a scene is what I’m told, but what scene? Aren’t we adults that should be able to keep our shit together?


I’m not sure what to do in this situation, but nothing can be resolved until people are willing to meet in the same room to discuss their issues. Not everyone has to be a friend after all; they just have to figure out how to coexist peacefully. Otherwise, I’m going to get an ulcer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Cunt/Dyke says Random Facebook Guy

How many times have you been on some type of internet platform and received a strange message like this, from some random creepy guy or possibly even girl?  I did change this "persons" name. 35 minutes ago Anon u r hot! 33 minutes ago Betty Jane Chitty true story. 24 minutes ago Anon does that true story have a happy ending? 23 minutes ago Betty Jane Chitty do I even know you? 23 minutes ago Anon if not, u should what r u doing right now? 16 minutes ago Betty Jane Chitty Well, I was going to delete you but you aren't on my friends list. Please stop writing me since I have no idea who you are. 4 minutes ago Anon wow well u r a fucking cunt enjoying being a cunt the rest of your life u dyke a few seconds ago Betty Jane Chitty ok Why do these people feel entitled to speak with me? Am

POTUS is Decided...it is Time for Respect

Potus​ decision aside. Secretary Hillary Clinton​ is human just like the rest of us. This means she is fallible...just like the rest of us. She has humbled herself more than once for this country by owning up to her mistakes and most likely the mistakes of others. She did this because that's what leaders are supposed to do. Admit to your mistakes; take responsibility as leader for your employees’ mistakes. Then you move on from there to find solutions. Secretary Clinton showed courage, conviction, and loyalty. To her party, her President and also her country. As she continues to fight for children and what she believes is best for this country, I have more admiration for her than ever. I hope that the people of this country will at least begin to treat her with the respect she deserves and has not received. If not for her political views or her public record, for the years of service she fought for this country, for the causes she continues to fight for and for the positions s

I'm not a lesbian, but my girlfriend is...

I'm not sure that I've been a cynic on love my entire life, but I have written confirmation that I definitely was at 17 years old and still a senior in high school. This comes in the form of a scrap book that we were supposed to complete about our lives. I loved this assignment, I loved what I did with it and I love that the teacher I had admired so much had liked it as well. I still have the scrapbook and so occasionally I look through it and at what my life had been for the first 17-18 years of my life when it was competed. There was one prompt that she gave us, "It's Love This Time". I changed it to, "It's Not Love This Time" and posted a bunch of pictures of cute celebrity boys because I had no first loves. Well, at this time in my life, I don't think I had ever been on a date before. I went on one date my senior year of high school and that was a set up through one of my friends. Let's just say we aren't married. He ended up